Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

FO: For Peter

Back when I posted about Chicken Julie's mug rug, Peter commented that he wanted one, and well, I decided to make that happen. It took me awhile, and I originally had a different plan for his gift, but I whipped this one up, and he liked it. So I gave it to him. I've been following his blog for quite some time, and I even won a contest he held for his birthday. So, really, reciprocation was involved here.

FO: Come Fly with Me Mug Rug

Making a mug rug is like making a mini-quilt. It is tiny and easy to finish. I should make a few more to practice binding, as I definitely need the practice! The idea for this quilt just popped into my head, and I knew it would be fun. If I was a better artist, I would have created an actual person holding the kite, but instead, I simply hid the string behind the flowers. Mug rugs are also awesome because you can use up scraps or special fabrics.

Sneak peek: Come Fly with Me

I hand wrote the phrase and traced it in embroidery. It was fun to do, and I'll definitely do this again.

If you're interested in more mug rug goodness, Erin recently posted Mug Rug Madness, complete with tutorials and lots of finished mug rugs.

Speaking of contests, I won a skein of Sundara's luscious Silk Lace! Incredible! As you know, I've been on a yarn-buying hiatus since December 31, but winning yarn is okay! The Silk Lace is in the Beach Glass color, and I plan to knit High Seas with it! Thanks, Sundara!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm super jealous--both of your sewing skilz and your skein of Sundara. Both are awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I'm looking at it constantly and it has gotten a lot of use with the copious amounts of coffee and tea I've been consuming to finish out the year. I'll post in on my blog soon, I just haven't had the time! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, congrats! lucky you!

    the mug rug is awesome--i love kites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!

    Did you use single fold binding or double fold? I've never made a mug rug, but I've read lots of blogs that recommend single fold binding, so it's not as bulking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great...I love the piece design of this. Very unique!

    Congrats on winning that yarn...I bet it will be scrumptious (and ease the yarn buying itch a bit maybe?)!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and questions! I try to respond to every comment. If you are a no-reply blogger and would like a response, please leave an email address in your comment. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails